Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Understand? (Part One)

Hello, James, how are you this eve?
Oh, I'm just simply smashing, thank-you. And the wife and kids? Delightful.
Look, I realize it's been a while, but will you spare me the lecture? ..oh, that was your inquisitive voice? Darling, we really must work on your tones, you sound a little bit like an interrogator! Which sounds a little like Alligator. You know, that sparks in me a thought: Inspector Detector from Speed Racer. Now THAT is a fun name to say and THAT is a super fun movie. I think if you were to cut out a portion of my mind and put it in a movie, it would look like Speed Racer. Why a portion, you ask? It's simple, my dear--no, no, I don't have split personalities, let me finish--My humor, my character, my entire being--as a whole--could not be summed up in a simple cinematic experience such as Speed Racer. I like to think I'm a little more complex than all that.

But now that we've got the important part of our discussion out of the way..
My last blog was a little monkish with all its "finding one's self" and such. Which I don't regret! But now to lighten the mood.
Wait, nevermind, I came on here to discuss something thoughtful--so forget the lightened mood. Well, it could be a little ENlightened, perhaps. Alright, alright, I'll get on with it.
So my thoughts are focused on communication.
Why don't people do it more often? Why don't they just say things? I mean, don't blurt out everything that's on your mind, but if someone misunderstands, just explain.
Alright, I realize I need to go a little further back.

It all started when I was a young girl, riding a quad through the desert. I was on the side of a dune and thought it would be neat if I just stopped on a slope. Then the quad dumped me over, I fell, rolled down the hill and the quad followed after. It landed on me then proceeded to roll off. I got a mouth full of sand that day.. it didn't taste very good. But that story doesn't have anything to do with what I want to say. But at least, by now, most people have sighed and ex'd out of the page because I won't get to the point. That's good, it leaves only the serious people that are truly interested in what I have to say. Which is probably a grand total of three or eight.
Anyway, I always--not always, most of the time--thought I couldn't explain things properly. I sometimes have trouble with words and giving instructions/directions. [Except for this one time, three years ago, my best friend's luggage was left at the airport and the guy called for directions to my house. I gave them to him and when he got here he said that I was good at giving directions!]
That's beside the point.

My mind works in a certain way, when my dad or brother try to explain difficult math theory to me, my brain shuts down. But I had a great friend that took the time to explain things to me in simpler terms that totally clicked! I always thought I was bad at math, but I'm actually quite good at it if I understand it. Understanding it takes time and patience. And that's what I'm upset about. Time and patience. Nobody has it anymore!
I always treasured people that would take the time to explain something, rather than waving their hands and saying, "forget it."
Anything, a mathematical equation, an inside joke, a recipe, a story. Anything big or small.
When you say "forget it" rather than explaining it's like saying, "you're not worth the explanation."
Most people may not feel that way, but I do.
Why can't people be more patient and explain things? Laziness? Indifference? I don't know.
I had a friend that explained lots to me. He didn't have to and, compared to him, I felt like a moron. He was super smart but took the time to explain whatever I didn't understand.
I realize talking about this may make me sound like an idiot, but I'll take that chance and hope you guys take my word for it when I say I possess *some* intelligence.
Anyway, his name was Ben, and he was a good little friend to have.
Then there was Justin L (not to be confused with Justin Buddy). I was studying for my GED test and I needed, desperately, to understand math. He explained everything to me. I had such stupid questions but laugh he did not! Instead he just explained! And in simple terms, might I add. I felt like a champ going through my math test. Though I didn't ace it.. but I still felt like a champ.
So, think about my words next time someone doesn't understand something you say. Are you going to get frustrated and yell at them? Exasperated and shrug it off? Or will you be patient and explain? Realize that the latter will (or may) leave a lifelong impression on this person. Depends on the person. But it did and does for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Say something so I know you've been here! :)