Sunday, July 31, 2011

"You should go speed dating."

One thing you'll quickly learn about me and my life is that my brothers constantly ask me where I'm going to meet my husband.
I think it bothers them that I've gone so long without a real relationship.
Anyways, tonight I was just sitting around the kitchen with the two oldest (at home) and the topic is brought up. Jeff (aka the Pompous Fool, by his own admission) decides that I need to get out more to meet guys. He was dreaming up a scheme that involved me in the theater and a guy tripping into my lap.
Of course I said he would have to say, "hey, get off of my sister." But he said he would probably put his hand to his mouth and giggle instead. Thanks, Jeff.
Nick then added to it saying that Jeff would be the one tripping the guy into my lap which is, sadly, more fitting to his character.

Jeff has this obsession with me and online dating, he continues to try to get me to sign up at eharmony and christianmingle.com. I don't think he understands.
I never used to be content with being single, but lately I feel I've been accepting the position with dignity (snark). No, really, I've accepted it and that's good. Godliness with contentment is great gain (1 Tim 6:6). What use is there in running around chasing guys? None whatsoever!
Do I wish to be married? For sure. But since that's not in my foreseeable future I've decided to focus my energy elsewhere.

Lately this includes preaching. I've been preaching only once before with a good friend of mine when he was visiting from out of town.
It wasn't open-air preaching (where you stand in one place and preach) it was walking up to people and talking to them about Jesus.
I admit it unnerved me a little bit and I felt out of place.
But, lately, I've felt a desire to preach the Word. It happened last week when I was at a lake for my brother's baptism, I looked about me and saw everyone enjoying themselves and I just wondered, "do they know? Do they know the truth? Or that the wages of sin is death?" The desire to preach was strong on my heart but I wasn't certain if I should go ahead and try it, since I've never just flat out started to preach in the middle of a park. So I went home and have been praying about it. The desire has not left and I feel that I've reached the point where I've found out what to do with my life at the moment: Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. (2 Tim 4:2)
Right now I'm studying to show myself approved and then will go preaching for the first time next Sunday.

So, instead of going out fishing for men to further my agenda of finding a husband, I will go out and be a fisher of men for the Kingdom of God (Matt 4:19). That's the kind of man-hunting I'm into right now.
As for that one special guy? He's out there, somewhere, it's only a matter of time before God brings him on in. One thing is for sure, when it happens there will be peace and it will be done decently and in order.

3 comments:

  1. you are such a good woman. that guy better be gosh-darned perfect when he comes along, that's all i have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! That's so sweet of you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's wonderful that you have a burden to preach! After all, the great commission was given to everyone. I'm slowly learning how to follow it and share truth with those I come in contact with too. Don't lose sight of that desire!

    Rascally brothers. They can be like that. Thankfully, mine aren't that bad, as I'm not old enough to tease about it yet. :D And even though I'm young, contentment is something I've had to learn to. Like you quoted, when you have it, it is 'great gain.'

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Say something so I know you've been here! :)